Are you a Highly Sensitive Person?
Here is The HSP Scale and The Self Test taken from Elaine Aron’s book Psychotherapy and The Highly Sensitive Person (p195-196).
Answer true if you feel this question is at least moderately true for you and false if you feel is not.
- I am easily overwhelmed by strong sensory input.
- I seem to be aware of subtleties in my environment.
- Other peoples moods effect me.
- I tend to be very sensitive to pain
- I find myself needing to withdraw during busy days, into bed or a darkened room or any place where I can have privacy and relief from stimulation.
- I am particularly sensitive to the effects of caffeine
- I am easily overwhelmed by things like bright lights, strong smells, course fabric, or sirens close by.
- I have a rich, complex inner life
- I am made uncomfortable by loud noises.
- I am deeply moved by the arts or music
- My nervous system sometimes feels so frazzled that I just have to get away by myself
- I am conscientious
- I startle easily
- I get rattled when I have a lot to do in a short space of time
- When people are uncomfortable in a physical environment I tend to know what needs to be done to make it more comfortable (like changing the lighting or the seating)
- I am annoyed when people try to get me to do to many things at once.
- I try hard to avoid making mistakes and forgetting things
- I make it a point to avoid violent movies and television shows
- I become unpleasantly aroused when a lot is going on around me
- Being very hungry creates a strong reaction in me, disrupting my concentration or mood.
- Changes in my life shake me up
- I notice and enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds and works of art
- I find in unpleasant to have a lot going on at once
- I make it a high priority to arrange my life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations.
- I am bothered by intense stimuli, like loud noises or chaotic scenes
- When I must compete or be observed while performing a task, I become so nervous or shaky that I do much worse than I would otherwise
- When I was a child, my parents or teachers seemed to see me as sensitive or shy.
If you answer more than 14 of the questions as true for you then its likely that you are an HSP. However as Dr Elaine Aron highlights this is by no means a full proof test, as no psychological
test is, and its important not to base your life on it.
ere's where you can enter in text. Feel free to edit, move, delete or add a different page element.